Saturday, July 4, 2009

Day 2 - Siesta Nouveaux, Toronto Ontario

Day 2 was obviously cozier for me than the GE/RHD guys since I got to go home and pass out in my own bed after getting them settled at the Bro Haus. For this I only feel mildly guilty.
Day 2 involved a lot of wandering around the city with the guys and introducing themselves to some cool areas. After getting all you can eat Indian buffet with Graham and Cecil from Gift Eaters (highly recommended by the way), we wandered back in the direction of the house to meet up with the other guys. On the way we passed through the U of T campus, which was fun because I got to show some of the dudes the institute that's been crushing my soul for so many years first hand.
After some solid relaxing and hang out at the house, we hit the van and drove over to Siesta Nouveaux, an awesome artist co-op holding all ages BYOB shows and a very reasonable price. Honestly, this place is one of the only things keeping grass roots aggressive music going in Toronto, so people should really be appreciative of it.
We loaded in, met up with the Creeper and Tonnn guys, and then I got the odious task of running the door/show and making sure everything was alright (this generally includes anxiety pangs in my gut, this show was no different). Once Creeper had started playing and I saw that we had a good solid group of friends/a few new faces at the show, I was breathed a little easier.
Creeper played as their usual ferocious selves, loud and killer. I'm pushing these guys on friends who say they love thrashy down-tuned hardcore, because they should know about them.
Again the Edmonton guys showed me what a lot of Toronto and I suppose Ontario has been missing. Intense, wild and interactive. It blows my mind that I was in the dark about these guys for almost their whole existence up until a few months ago. I think the whole crowd was very stoked on both bands, and a lot of my drunken friends couldn't help but gush at me at how amazing they thought they were. This I was stoked on.
Tonnn. Honestly, no words can truly explain how much hope and optimism I have for these guys. They played like it was their tour kick-off, which amazingly, it was. I'm bummed I won't get to see these dudes faces for almost 2 months, both personally and as a band. But man, it's amazing how it brought us all together that night. I'm still quite touched by the whole evening.
The DIY scene I once felt alienated by is honestly now feeling very homey...I'm finding this experience very transformative, and can't wait to see both GE/RHD on their home turf in one week.

No comments:

Post a Comment