Friday, July 3, 2009

Tour Blog!

So the dates got pretty re-arranged, but day 1 is officially in the books. The Gift Eaters and Red Hot Daggers guys drove like 3 days to be here, so I'm stoked to have them.

DAY 1 - Marcello's Bar and Grill, Mississauga Ontario

Since the guys had stayed at a friends house in Parkdale, we didn't have far to go for Day 1 which was only a little west in Mississauga. I grabbed my distro and hopped into the van, and to my pleasant surprise we went and hit up a public pool in charming 'Saug. I haven't been swimming in years, so other than feeling a bit awkward at the 6 of us being the only ones above the age of like 15 (who didn't have kids), it was actually a huge amount of fun. The Edmonton guys are all pretty hilarious, and so far we seem to be meshing well. We eventually dried off and head out to the infamous Marcello's Bar and Grill.
I absolutely love the space that Marcello let's the bands use, and I plan on writing a blog dedicated to the importance of a place like his to the local music scene. I was running the show technically as well, which was a bit nerve wracking as it was my first at Marcello's, and I've never really dealt with him in that light before. Luckily there were people drinking and eating, so he seemed appeased. No Alarms and Whiskey Priest also played the show, both of which were rad.
Since Marcello's is technically a bar, we had some concerns about our friend Dan (who is 15) who had made the trek up from Georgetown to see the bands. Luckily, with a little tweak to his age and geneology (we said he was 17 and Graham from GE's cousin), Marcello seemed only slightly miffed.
Since this was my first time actually seeing the Edmonton bands play, I was pretty excited, and suffice to say I wasn't dissapointed. Incredibly raw and full of energy, both bands played like they were just begging to after so many days of sleeping in a van.
Toronto tonight, another show I'm running (also my bday show). Pretty stoked. Hope everyone is well.

No comments:

Post a Comment