Sunday, July 5, 2009

Day 3 - Commotion House, Waterloo Ontario

I realize that there are some awful spelling and grammar errors in some of my posts. Please forgive this, as I usually am writing these either very late or very early. I'll correct all the blogs towards the end.

After a VERY late night from the Bro Haus after party, I decided to sleep in until 2PM to recoup some strength and vigor. After a shower and a coffee, I meandered over to the Bro Haus to have some always fun hung over conversation with my old roomies/good buds. We all just talked about how awesome the show was and how more like them need to happen. Eventually the boys from Edmonton strolled over having been out for dim sum in China town, and we preceded to head to the van, which had spent the last few nights conveniently around the corner from the Haus in a well protected (and easy going) parking lot.
We reached Commotion house at about 8PM, which at first I thought was a problem, but as it turned out, we were the first band there. Being more used to Bro Haus shows following a strict curfew, I was surprised, but stoked at the difference in neighbourly tolerance to punk haha. Jesse threw the show, and was a very nice guy. He and some friends also made a vegan/vegetarian pot-luck for the bands and friends, which was very gracious and awesome.
The show space at Commotion house is an awesome small basement, with a low ceiling, and a very awesome old as hell looking PA. I love basement shows, as the energy just seems to rise, which seemed like the case again tonight. Even if there was only 30 or so people at the show, it felt packed, and people seemed to be having a good time.
Sleep For the Nightlife were the first band and I was pleasantly surprised. Very catchy and dynamic indie/post-rock stuff, all very nice dudes too. RHD was plagued by a few technical problem, including a breaker needing to be fixed (again, love house shows), but otherwise were their usual wild selves. It's been a lot of fun watching these guys play the last few days. Their drummer Taylor also wore a dinosaur mask and a red soccer uniform. Again, rad dudes haha.
Gift Eaters were even more intense than usual, and it was awesome to have a screamo rendition of Happy Birthday sung to me post midnight, as I had officially turned 23.
This was also the 2nd show of the 3 I had gotten set up with the Edmonton guys and Tonnn, who are honestly getting better every time I see them. Thanks for playing "I Work All Day..." for me guys!
Okay, it's my bday, and I have to miss the show tonight to see family. I am bummed. But Bracebridge on Tuesday, and then the looong drive.
-Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment